Things to do in GalleThere is no doubt to us that Galle is one of the best Sri Lanka destinations. This is why we chose to build our hotel here: for its magical surroundings, the beautiful South Coast beaches, and for all the fantastic things to do!
If you are thinking of where to go in Sri Lanka, here is our top ten list of best things to do in Galle and its surroundings:
- Whale Watching: Sri Lanka’s south coast is renowned as one of the best places in the world to find humpback and blue whales. Mirissa is the best place to do this, quite close to OTP Hotel, and dolphins can be spotted too. The whale-watching season in Mirissa is from November to April next year. You can hire a private boat or go on a group excursion for an adventure of a lifetime.
- Cycling: The lush greenery of the area is an inescapable invitation to take an adventurous bike-ride through paddy fields, feeling the breeze in your face. Discover the jungle and its beautiful exotic animals, in a guided tour arranged by OTP Hotel.
- Old Town of Galle and Fort: take a 20 min tuk-tuk ride from OTP Hotel to Galle town and visit this UNESCO World Heritage Site. Built by the Portuguese in the 16th century, the town experienced many transformations throughout history. In the 17th century the Dutch converted the town into its main bastion, bringing it to its maximum splendour. The streets and paths near the Lighthouse make for a beautiful stroll along the coast, with mesmerizing views of the Laccadive Sea. Today the Fort stands as a true reflection of the city’s style: an impeccable combination of classical European architecture and exotic South Asian beauty.
- Visit to local market: make a personalized visit to the local fish and produce market with one of our chefs, who will guide you through all the exquisite Sri Lankan spices and curries, to discover new aromas and textures.
- Turtle Hatchery: In Galle you will find several non-profit sea turtle hatcheries, ensuring the preservation and protection of a very delicate ocean species. They take care of the hatching of eggs brought to them by fishermen, for further release in the sea after birth. We recommend them as a must-visit place, for its inspiring work, and true evidence of the miracle of life.
- Surfing Lessons: if you are looking for waves in Sri Lanka, the south coast is where you want to head-over to. The best beaches for surfing are Weligama, Polhenna, Hikkaduwa and Mirissa. They all offer great surfing lessons for around $10 including equipment, and you will meet the friendliest local and international instructors. There are many other water activities to do as well, like snorkelling, sailing and scuba diving!
- Moonstone Mines of Meetiyagoda: Sri Lanka is one of the world’s largest gem sources. You can find here the most beautiful and unique precious stones you will ever see. The Moonstone Mines of Meetiyagoda are the most frequently visited by our guests, as they are only 45min away from Thalpe. We love moonstones because they are understated and extremely elegant, especially because of their unique blue hue, rarely found outside Sri Lanka.
- Deep Sea Fishing: 10 minutes away from Owl and the Pussycat Hotel, you can rent a private boat for a half of full day, to go into the wild deep sea un the quest for sharks, tuna, marlin and swordfish. This is recommended for fishing aficionados and not suitable for young children.
- Relax and re-energize: Begin your day smoothly at OTP Hotel, with a personalised yoga session and meditation in our yoga platform by the pool, with captivating views of the sea, and catch sight of the iconic Sri Lankan stilt fishermen. Then, pamper yourself with our made-to-order Sri Lankan breakfast and savour our local specialties: our super nutritious Kola Kenda, Egg Hoppers with Sambols and Upama. Later, Book a soothing seaside massage by the hands of our exclusive therapists and relax with the sound of the waves. There is nothing like a rejuvenating Sri Lanka spa.
- Fine dinning: In the evening, get set for an unforgettable dinner at our restaurant The Runcible Spoon. Live a romantic experience under the stars, dinning on mince and slices of quince, and let our chef guide you through the exotic flavours of Sri Lankan specialties. This is your place if you are looking for honeymoon hotels in Sri Lanka.
There are plenty of wonderful things to do in Galle and Sri Lanka, some that we have not even listed but we love all the same! Like visiting the Ambalangoda Mask Museum, the Kanneliya Rain Forest, the Kottawa Reserve, the Sinharaja Rain Forest, the Spice Garden, the Tea Factory in Handdunugoda and Udawala National Park, to name a few.
At Owl and the Pussycat Hotel, we will be delighted to assist you in organising private or group excursions to any of these marvellous places and many others. Call us at +94 777 240077 or email us to email@example.com to book your next stay with us and start planning your lanka holidays!